Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hanukkah Candles Picture Frame

So I found this post by Felt So Cute and thought it was very cute and easy... but I'm not a teacher and I don't have kids so a crayon picture frame seemed wrong. So then I thought, "What if I exchanged crayons for Hanukkah candles?" Good Hanukkah decorations are hard to come by so here's something I thought would make a great gift!

I'll let you be the judge.


First, gather your supplies. Hanukkah candles, scissors, a hot glue gun, a picture frame, and a marker (though I used my finger nail). Note: kittens probably won't help in this project.

Then decide how you want to lay out the candles. Do you want to keep the wicks on or off? Measure the candles with either a marker or your finger nail and shorten the candles with a knife or saw but I found scissors to work just fine, as long as you cut fast. If you don't, the wax will chip and break off very easily and it's not pretty...

About halfway through I realized this project might not look as good as I thought it might. But I'm not one to stop halfway through anything so I kept cutting and gluing, cutting and gluing. Note that the candles won't be perfectly aligned so you might see some of the back of the frame.

When it was all done, I showed it to my husband and we both agreed - it looked... ok. Ahh well... I'd say this would be a fun project for kids but considering it involves sharp objects and hot glue, you may be better off just... not... doing it... at all...

Moral of the story: not every Pinterest project is worth doing.


TOTAL COSTS: About $17
$1.99 for 3x5 wooden picture frame from Michael's
$14.99 for 135 hanukkah candles from Bed, Bath & Beyond
Hot glue already on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 50 minutes

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 2 out of 5
It's not a difficult project, you're just shortening the candles to fit on the frame and hot gluing them on. The hard part... is making it look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment