Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Behind the Scenes of Star Wars Snowflakes

So this has been going around Facebook and I knew I had to do them: 


1. because we don't get snow in Los Angeles and 
2. my husband is a huge fan of the film series

Designer Anthony Herrera has done 37 designs so far so I picked three that looked the easiest and the most recognizable.




When you print them out, it's up to you to cut around the edges of the square or circle, and fold along the lines. For the circle designs, I folded in half, then in half again, then in thirds to have the design on top.

Before you even start, have a pair of scissors and an x-acto knife ready. The scissors will help for cutting out a lot of grey space, the x-acto knife will be for all the little details inside the design. Now I don't know about you but my x-acto knife can cut through 2, maybe 3 pages at a time. Have patience and for your first ones, try to go for easy designs.



Cut as much grey with scissors as possible
The easiest for me was Darth Vader, however when I got to the final page, you can see the difference in quality between the top layer of paper and the bottom:
Left was last page, right was top page. Major difference in quality!

The second easiest was the X-Wing, mainly because I was able to cut most of it out with scissors. You can see, though, the left inside part is cleaner than the right side because again, the top page was easier to cut than the last piece of paper in the stack.
Left was first piece of paper, right was last piece

And finally, Yoda cut I did. Be very careful with these really detailed designs, though, as you might almost decapitate your design.
Do not decapitate your designs!


Overall, I would recommend these for any Star Wars fan - try some of his other designs and let me know how they turn out!


TOTAL COSTS: Free!
This is assuming you have a printer, paper, scissors, and an x-acto knife on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 53 minutes

15 minutes for Darth Vader
15 minutes for X-Wing
23 minutes for Yoda

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 2 out of 5

The hardest parts are cutting out the inside details but with patience, you can cut through no problem! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment