Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Autumn DIY Candlesticks

I found a couple of easy, DIY candlestick ideas and wanted to share them with you. They're quick, easy, and festival for Autumn!

Trace candle around top

Place candle on top of apple
The first one comes to us from Indulgy - all you need are apples, a knife, and tea lights. Simply place the tea light on top of the apple, trace around the candle with either a marker or the knife, and cut about 1-1 1/2" into the apple (I cut about 1" into the apple - see below for results). Place the candle in the apple and you're good to go!

Note that the apple will turn bad after a couple hours but if you want to delay the browning, simply spray lemon juice inside the apple. This is not a long-term candle holder but certainly festive!

Don't use Elmer's glue -
it doesn't work!
 The second one comes to us from DIY-Craft. Now this one was a bit tricky for me because I don't live in an area with any trees, believe it or not. Luckily, I took a recent trip to San Francisco where they actually have things called "nature" and "parks" so I was able to pick up many twigs and sticks. First things first - find a candle holder that does not curve in (like those from IKEA). I found an old Glade candle holder and used that.

You may see glue in between
the sticks and that's ok!
Second, grab your hot glue gun. I tried using Elmer's glue and it doesn't work. Yes, you might see the hot glue in between the twigs but I don't know that many people who have glue for glass on hand.

Third, make sure your twigs are the same height as the candle holder. I wouldn't make them any taller, just to be safe. You don't have to glue down the entire twig (there were times I just glued the top or bottom to the holder and it worked just fine).

Give it some time to dry completely, stick a candle in there (I recommend a tea light since it's small and less likely to cause a fire accident), and enjoy your new candle holders!

The deeper the cut in the apples, the lower the candles will be!

TOTAL COSTS: Free!
If you have apples, a candle holder, a hot glue gun and trees nearby, it can be free for you too!

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Less than 5 minutes for apple holders, 45 minutes for twig holder 
It may be more or less time, depending on the size of your candle holder and how many twigs you use

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
A great activity to help gussy up your home for Autumn, especially around Thanksgiving. I wonder what gourd candleholders might look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment