Sunday, July 6, 2014

How to Shuck Silk/Hair from Corn on the Cob

It's that time of the year - time to bust out the grill, put on some meat, and eat some corn on the cob! My least favorite part? Shucking the corn. My hands get covered in the hair, I can't remove it all, and I end up getting some in my teeth. When I saw this video on Wimp, I knew I had to give it a shot and I'm so glad I did because I'm not shucking corn any other way! Seriously, they need to teach you this in elementary school. It's important stuff to know.

Take your ear of corn with the silk and husk still on...


...and place it in the microwave. One corn on the cob = 4 minutes. So if you want to do two at a time, put it in for 8 minutes.


When the time is up, remove it from the microwave and cut off the end. Note that it will be EXTREMELY hot when you remove it from the microwave so wear gloves and be very careful!


This is what it should look after you lob off the end. Note that I'm wearing oven mitts. I'm not kidding, man, it gets hot!


Grab the corn by the top and squeeze. The corn will come out of the end without any silk on it!


And there you have it kids! I recommend waiting a few minutes for it to cool before diving in but you don't have to grill it, put it in a pot of water, or do anything else because it's ready it eat!


TOTAL COSTS: Varies on location
$.89/lb. for corn on the cob from Gelson's in LA

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 5 minutes
4 minutes in the microwave
1 minute to cut off end and squeeze through husk

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
It's very easy, you just need to be careful not to burn your hands (or tongue) as it does get extremely hot!

1 comment: