Tuesday, March 11, 2014

DIY Air Vase Fail

I was perusing Instructables, trying to find an easy project for a lazy Tuesday afternoon, when I came across this beautiful paper vase. It doesn't have a lot of components to it - it's just simple, yet elegant. I figured I could finish it in no time. When will I ever learn?....

If you want to give it a shot, here's wall you'll need:

1. Printer paper for the template (see original post for pdf)

2. Card stock paper for the bottom of the vase. These will need to be 2" circles but what I did was put the vase template underneath the card stock and traced the inner circle. Much easier than trying to find your old compass!

3. An x-acto knife and something to protect your table

4. Glue

Start by printing out the template and cutting everywhere you see a printed line. If you're not careful, you will rip the paper. And yes, it will probably happen.

Get used to seeing these...
If you still have all your fingers and have finished cutting on all the printed lines, you then need to cut in the white space. Now this is where I screwed up. I made too many lines and halfway down, it stopped stretching without ripping. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

This is what you're going for!
Once you're done cutting your lines, cut out the template so you're not still working with a full piece of paper. Glue your base (the 2" card stock circles) to the front and the back of the paper.


And finally, stretch out your vase. If it doesn't fully stretch out, it makes a lovely hat.


As I said, not one of my best project... but hey, ya live and ya learn! Hopefully your attempt will go much better than mine!


TOTAL COSTS: Free!
However I already had printer paper, an x-acto knife, and glue on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 1 hour
A great chance to catch up on podcasts during the excessive cutting!

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 4 out of 5
I rate this one pretty high because:

#1 - it's very hard to cut the paper without ripping it and
#2 - keeping track of which white space to cut and which to leave alone.

However, if it doesn't work out, you can always print out the template and try again!

2 comments:

  1. So thrilled you agreed to humor us (and make us laugh) at CraftFail again - thank you! http://craftfail.com/2014/09/diy-air-vase-nailed-it/

    ReplyDelete