Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wine Cork Magnets

I love poking around Pinterest and finding links to overly priced items on Etsy. Seriously, would you pay $9 + $2.50 in shipping for cork magnets?!


Of course not! Why buy the milk when you can get the drunk cow for free, ammiright? These are incredibly easy to make for the lush... I mean, wine "appreciator" in your life and would make a nice housewarming gift, birthday gift, or, "Your fridge is boring and I like merlot!" gift -




So grab those corks from your empty wine bottles as well as:


* Magnet tape
* E6000 glue (not pictured here but highly recommended)
* An x-acto knife or box cutters
* A vice or really heavy books



Carefully cut your cork in half with your x-acto knife but make sure you don't cut through whatever words or design you want to feature on your fridge. I don't recommend this if you just topped off your bottle, as sharp objects + alcohol = a stupid combination.



Grab your magnet tape and cut to the width and length of your cork. If you want to make sure the magnet doesn't peel off, use your smelly E6000 glue. It might stink but it'll do the job!


Place your cork magnets in a vice or under really heavy books for at least a half hour, to ensure the magnet isn't going anywhere. To be safe, I kept them in the vice overnight (it's not like I'm going to be staring at my fridge at 3am).

And there you have it kids! Now aren't you glad you spent your money on another bottle of wine rather than shipping and handling?



TOTAL COSTS: $4.99
$4.99 for magnet tape from Michael's
Corks for free... ::hiccup::...

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 10 minutes/cork + overnight

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy-5 very difficult): 1 out of 5
This is such an easy project, you just cut and glue. I mean, it might be a little difficult to cut through the cork but I wouldn't say it's hard or impossible. Heck, you could open up your own Etsy store with these and charge only $8 if you want!

1 comment:

  1. Cute idea!
    And yes, my gosh, that glue REEKS. It's good crafting glue, though. My latest little gig is using up the stash of extra buttons that come with clothes - or, okay, let me not lie, everyone else's stash, since most of my clothes are thrift and come sans extra buttons -- and attaching them with that smelly glue to magnets or to hair pins. Buttons sewn together make really cute hairpins for short hair. ☺

    ReplyDelete