Monday, May 19, 2014

DIY Glow-In-The-Dark Nail Polish (look, but don't touch!)

So here's something I came across on Pinterest via Twitter:


That seemed easy enough! Boy oh boy was I ever wrong... this took three tries and by the third, I eventually got it to work but it's not as easy as you might think.

Test #1 - I did exactly what the post said. I broke a blue glow stick...


I cut off one of the tips so the liquid could come out...


And I attempted to get it in the clear nail polish.


Ok, so many problems with this, I'm not quite sure where to begin!

   #1 - Unless you break every millimeter of the stick, it's not going to come out easy at all
   #2 - You're going to start to get frustrated and cut it into pieces, thinking it'll get out faster
   #3 - You'll then make a mess but not realize it until you go into a dark room and see it all over your hands
   #4 - It'll all be for nothing because it's not going to change the clear nail polish into glow-in-the-dark polish.


Test #2 - Why not skip the nail polish altogether and just try to apply the goo directly onto the nails? So again, I broke a pink glow stick, I cut off the tip and I tried to put the goo directly on the nails.


More problems! You're going to have small crunchy particles on your nails, you're going to get it all over your hands (see below), and ultimately make a mess. However, it does work (in a sense), so I gave it one final go.


Test #3 - This time I decided to use a technique I posted last New Years Eve re: DIY lanterns.

So I broke a green glow stick...

I cut the tip and, using an empty tin can, I shook the stick against the sides until all the contents came out.

Then using my clean nail polish brush, I applied the goo directly onto my nails without causing a mess.


Here you can see what it looks like in the light and in the dark:


Now here's why I don't recommend you do it:

#1 - The stuff inside of glow sticks is toxic. Should your hand come anywhere near your mouth, you'd need to call poison control immediately.
#2 - The stuff inside of glow sticks doesn't dry. So you can wait 20 minutes and it'll still wipe right off.
#3 - The glow doesn't last that long. After 20 minutes, you're back to where you started.

While it was fun experimenting, you're better off just buying some glow-in-the-dark nail polish that is guaranteed to dry and not potentially put your health at risk.


TOTAL COST: $2
$1 for 6-pack of glow sticks from Target
$1 for clear nail polish from Rite Aid

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 10 minutes for Test #3

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 1 out of 5 for Test #3
It's not hard to crack a glow stick, whip the contents into a container, and use a nail polish brush to apply, but the question is... would you really want to?

2 comments:

  1. I found a lot of interesting things in your blog. Great posts I really like them, especially I'm not the only one discount beauty supply

    ReplyDelete