Monday, March 31, 2014

DIY State Necklaces

When I moved across country from the Midwest to LA, I missed the Mitten State for so many reasons. The seasons, the people, the food, the accents... you just can't beat it. So when I saw this post by VJuliet on how to craft your own state necklaces out of wire, I thought this would be a perfect way to show some state pride. However, I did also create a California one, since I do live here after all...

So it's quite simple, all you'll need is:

1. 22 gauge wire
2. Round-nose pliers (I did use my fingers but the pliers really help with sharp corners)
3. Wire cutters (or really sharp scissors)
4. Tape (masking you can reuse easily)
5. An outline of your state, printed out on card stock
6. A necklace chain, to wear your state with pride
7. Microsoft Word or Photoshop
First, find an outline of your state and using Microsoft Word or Photoshop, make the image 2" x 2". Print it out on card stock (as printer paper may easily tear during the process).

Next, make a small loop with the wire, as this will be at the top of your state. Make sure it's big enough for your chain to go through, or all your work might be for nothing!


Tape the loop to the top of your state and start bending around the outline! When you're done with a small section, put tape over it so it stays in place and doesn't change shape.


By the end, your paper should look something like this.


My first try was a bit sloppy, my second try I tried just the lower peninsula but I felt guilty about leaving da Yoopers out, but I finally got it down with my third try! If you live in a state like Wyoming or Colorado, this project might not be for you, unless you want a bunch of people asking why you're wearing a square or rectangle.


Surprisingly enough, California was much easier than Michigan! But take your time and if it doesn't work the first time, try again!


TOTAL COSTS: $3.99
$3.99 for 22 gauge wire from Michael's
Masking tape, card stock, and pliers on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Depends on state
I took me 8-9 minutes for Michigan and 6 minutes for California

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 2 out of 5
If you use your fingers more than the pliers to bend the wire, your fingers will be sore, just as a heads-up. The more you do it, the easier and better they'll turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment