Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve Cupcakes

I'm a huge fan of trying to incorporate cupcakes into everything I do, including holidays, so I wanted to think of a few ways to ring in the new year with cupcakes! Here are a couple ideas I came up with before running out the door!

#1 - Clock on the cupcake

This is if you're great with piping, which I'm not, so it can get messy if you don't have a steady hand. You're welcome to add the numbers around the edges but again, if you have small cupcakes, they might not be legible.

#2 - Spelling out the year

                                            What better way to ring in the new year than by eating it one  
                                     number at a time?? You could also make the numbers and add 
                                      sprinkles for color, as no New Year's Eve is complete without glitter and sprinkles!

#3 - Another variation of the clock theme

Using card stock paper, tape, and some toothpicks, I made clocks counting down the final minutes to 2013. These are probably my favorite, as they were no-mess, easy-to-make decorations that added a more 3-D quality than the others.

And there you have it! May everyone have a happy and healthy new year!

TOTAL COSTS: About $6
$2.99 for cupcake mix
$2.99 for frosting mix
Card stock, paper, marker, tape, scissors, and toothpicks already on hand

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: Less than 5 minutes
I was running out the door and needed to decorate these fast so these are great if you don't have much time!

EASY-PEASY SCALE (1 super easy - 5 very difficult): 2 out of 5
The only "hard-ish" thing was the piping. I found it was easiest to put the frosting in a plastic bag, push it all to one corner, and snip the corner with scissors so as to get the frosting out cleanly and evenly. Watch out, though - the smaller the hole you make, the more likely you'll make the hole bigger by applying too much pressure and therefore, making the frosting spurt out! Trust me kids, I know from experience on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment