Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yummy Halloween Treats Involving Chocolate Chips!

Just in time for Halloween, I saw this post by Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen and knew it would be a disgustingly awesome treat to make for Halloween! With a little food coloring and chocolate chips, these can be in your kitchen!

A few things to point out:

#1 - If you don't want to use jelly beans, try using chocolate chips. I personally hate the taste of licorice and the thought of buying an entire bag of jelly beans just so I could use the black ones seemed a bit ludicrous, so I used chocolate chips and they tasted great!

Fingers before putting in the oven
#2 - If you don't have white chocolate around, maybe you'll have white chocolate chips! I poured some into a bowl, put them in the microwave until they were melted (about a minute) and then added the red food coloring for "blood", which leads me to #3...

#3 - The color of your cookies and "blood" may not look exactly like the original post, but they'll still look great, I promise. I added 10 drops of green for the fingers and about 10 drops of red for the blood and while the blood is a bit lighter than I would have liked, it still looks (and tastes) good!

TOTAL COSTS: About $5.50
$2.79 for chocolate chips
$2.79 for white chocolate chips
All other ingredients and food color in house

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: About 50 minutes to make 15-20 fingers
35 minutes to make the dough
11 minutes to bake
5 minutes to let cool and dip in "blood" (though they were still quite warm when I did this)

EASY-PEASY SCALE: 2 out of 5
The most difficult things for me were forming the finger shapes and keeping the consistency of the "blood" as melted as possible (it seemed to solidify when I added the red food coloring so I added a little water). Other than that, piece 'o cake... or... finger...


Shout out to my Aunt Judy for showing me this post on Pinterest from Crafty Texas Girls. Want a healthy snack for your kids this Halloween? Make banana ghosts! Bananas + chocolate chips = scary good. What I wanted to know, though, was how long would they keep if you just left them out at a party?

Here's what they looked like when I first made them:

Here's what they looked like after 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours:
 
The browning really can be seen in the first hour so I wouldn't recommend having these out if you're having an all-day party. Also, the chocolate chips seems to melt a bit after a while.

TOTAL COSTS: About $3.50
$.69/lb of bananas
$2.79 for chocolate chips and you don't need that many!

TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME: 2-3 minutes
Depending on how many ghosts you make, this won't take any time at all!

EASY-PEASY SCALE: 1 out of 5
This only requires 3 steps: peel the banana, cut the banana, add chocolate chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment